07 November 2016

Azur 1/72 de Havilland DH.100 Vampire FB Mk.5


The only reason I bought this kit was because it was going out at half price at a closing down sale and being a subject I've always had an interest I thought well, why not. Despite it's scale I was really impressed the kits overall level of detail and the build proved to be an absolute breeze with no need for any filler. The only additions to the kit were a set of Eduard seat-belts and aerials made from thin wire and the main landing gear struts were also cut and shortened to give the model the correct tail-down sit.


With construction done the model was then cleaned, primed and painted with Gunze H54 Navy Blue followed by a coat of Future. The kit decals were really thin and went on without any poblems using Micro Set and Micro Sol and conformed beautifully to all the surface detail. At this point I was really pleased with the finish of the model and was in two minds on whether to apply a panel line wash or not, however, I went ahead with it and applied a 50-50 mix of Vallejo Light Grey (75.515) and White (76.501). Pleased with the final appearance I then applied 50-50 mix of Vallejo Gloss (70.510) and Satin Varnish (26.519), which gave the model a nice scale semi-gloss finish as seen in the photo above.

This is a really nice kit and one I'd highly recommend to anyone with a passing interest in de Havilland's beautiful Vampire.