10 January 2016

Tamiya 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden 'George'


Although the subject matter may not appeal to everyone, I cannot understand why this kit is considered to be one of Tamiya's most unpopular, as from a build perspective it is absolutely flawless and goes together without any filler. The only items I added to the kit were an Eduard etch set (48 152), True Details (46041) wheels and brake lines made from lead wire.

As I built this  model some 6-7 years ago and back in the days when I used to mix my own paint colours, I cannot recall which Gunze colours I used or what the mix ratios were for the Kawanishi Green. However, as for the remaining colours they are pretty much whichever Gunze colours are appropriate.

The markings came from an Aeromaster decal sheet (48-326 Kawanishi Shiden Collection) and weathering consisted of panel line washes and paint chips using a Prismacolor Silver pencil. Personally I think this is one of Tamiya's nicest kits and in some respects is equal to or better than Hasegawa's offering.