22 June 2012

Wave Ma.K. 'Ketzer'



As I've mentioned before every year my modelling buddies and I choose a challenge subject, which we then build and enter into the annual Australian Model Expo, which is our equivalent of the IPMS USA Nationals. In the past few years we've tended towards aircraft - props and jets - and last year decided to do a bi-plane, the Eduard 1/48 Albatross DVa.
 
The DVa resurrection
Unfortunately bi-planes have never been my forte and after getting about 60% of the way through the build, my Albatross took a sudden swan dive into the floor followed by a tirade of expletives. Fortunately though a good friend of mine - Brad Cancian - asked for the mortal remains to be recovered and forwarded to him, whereupon he incorporated it into a magnificent WWI diorama.

As a consequence, for the 2012 Australian Model Expo my modelling buddies and I decided to do something entirely different, which would take us outside of our normal comfort zone. Hence the decision was made to do any manned (Ma.K), ground based, powered fighting suite and for this I chose the recently released Wave kit of the 'Ketzer', as it was the only subject that really appealed to me. The model went together without any dramas, was painted using Vallejo Airs and weathered using the sponge technique, a fine paint brush and Mig pigments. The base was made from an old trophy I had lying around and the ground work created using Games Workshop modelling sand and MiniNature grasses. 

So what was the final outcome from this years Australian Model Expo? Well lets just say that out of five of us who competed in the challenge, only one of us took out an award - a first - which sadly wasn't me this time around.......